Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 23, 2011

Farewell Pa xxx

Sadly today we lost Pa .... he passed away peacefully after a short illness.
Thankfully he wasn't in pain & simply stayed sleeping till it was time for him to go.
He was 84. Nanny & Pa were married for 62 years. Their only son, Rod, now 61 was obviously a honeymoon gift. Father & Son had been great buddies through life & with 3 grandsons, aged 24, 13 & 5,  to entertain, Pa was always good for a story, a horse racing tip, fishing advice & always for a beer.
I first met Drew ( aka Pa ) when I started dating Rod back in 1994. He always reminded me so much of my own father but was more like a big bear... always welcoming with big hugs, a coldie & the latest race tip. Watching my own dad, being a keen punter & drinker, I quickly learnt racing etiquite & Drew was no less passionate about his bets.
A man of routine he would venture to the local TAB & papershop, then park his car under the same tree at the Peninsula Hotel in Mandurah to enjoy a coldie and listen to the radio for his race results.  You could time your watch to where he would be at a certain time of day & he still sat under that tree in his car even after the Peninsula Hotel was knocked down. Eventually he was no longer able to drive, so he'de often be seen on his gopher heading for the BoatHouse Tavern & betting shop. I have to say he was the most consistant man I have ever met. He wouldn't faulter. Rain, Hail or Shine he remained faithful to his daily routine. He was like a fish out of water on Xmas day when the races didnt run but he always put in the effort and enjoyed a family Xmas Day.
In the afternoons when the races were run, he'de share a game of Scrabble or Cards with his wife of more then 60 years, Esther, and was fiercely competitive.  
I could write for hours about his interesting life but really I just want to say thanks to Drew.  Thanks for being a fabulous  father-in-law to me &  grandfather to the boys.
For giving us all so many stories & wonderful memories. 
I will surely miss asking you if you're having a win today,  almost as much as i will miss your reply "Not today darlin, The Bloody Barrrrstards !"



God forbid that you should go to any Heaven where they've no beer or betting.
No doubt, you'll find my dad there waiting with a cold one & a tip for a roughie.

Rest In Peace Drew   
We Love You  
xoxoxo

No comments: